This page describes how to set up your Mac Mail to work with mail from Netsville's servers. Although the descriptions below are for the Mac OS X version, they should work for similar versions of Mac Mail.
The Main Steps
- From the menu choose Mail then Preferences...
- Click [+] to add an account.
- Type in your name, email address and password into the dialog and hit CONTINUE
- Choose Account Type.
- You can choose either POP or IMAP. We recommend IMAP.
- Enter a description. In the screenshot, ours is Netsville Email
- The incoming Mail Server should be: securemail.netsville.com
- Enter your username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure to enter your full email address, not just the user portion.
- Password: (may already be filled in)
- Choose Account Type.
- For Incoming Mail Security, check Use Secure Sockets Layer and Authentication Type of PASSWORD.
- For Outgoing Mail Server, type securemail.netsville.com.
- The final page is a summary showing your configuration.
- Make sure the email address and user name are the same!
- Make sure the Incoming and Outgoing servers are both securemail.netsville.com!
- Make sure SSL is on for both incoming and outgoing servers!
- Click the CREATE button.
Other Config Screenshots
Here is the main Account Information page you get after your account has been created and you choose Mail -> Preferences... from the menu. If you have multiple accounts, they will be listed on the left. In this example, we have selected the information for the account created earlier in these instructions.
Advanced Account Information
Here is the screen you get after clicking the Advanced tab. This shows an account using the IMAP account type with port of 993. This indicates the connection to the server will be encrypted which we highly recommend. In addition, IMAP is better suited for accounts with a lot of mail and/or accounts that are checked by multiple devices at the same time.
Advanced Outbound Mail Settings
This is the screen you get off the Account Information page after selecting Edit SMTP Server List from the Outgoing Mail Server drop-down box and clicking the Advanced tab. This is where Mac Mail is particularly awesome because you simply need to make sure Use default ports is selected. You don't need to bother with which one. However, you do need to confirm Use Secure Sockets Layer is checked and the Authentication Type is Password. Your full email address is the User Name and your password must be the same one you use to check mail.